Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2012 Feb26 - Tokyo Marathon

Cold morning with about 2km walk from the hotel to the start line at Tokyo Metropolitan Building.
Very good warm up I guess.
Never afraid of getting lost because the streets was packed with runners.
After our last bad experience of loosing everyone in the start of Seoul Marathon in 2011, we made sure we planned properly where to meet up to prepare & after we have dropped off our bags.
KS with Siok Bee & Ray
Let's not forget me...ekkekeke.... 
Preparing ourselves...time to undress...along with everyone
Last pic together before we get separated into our gates
As usual, KS would be in the faster gate than most of us....cheh!!! 
Would you believe it, we needed to walk nearly 1.5km to our start gate of 4:30hrs
Good thing we timed earlier to start our walk. Actually more like shuffle. 
Cold cold...shuffle shuffle 
 The start of the waiting gate was colourful already.
Trying to warm myself on the spot because the wind was whoa!!
Confirm late start because alot of us kept looking at our watches & complaining.
Once the gun went off at the starting line, everyone cheered.
Guess wat?! Another 1km walk to the starting line.
Shuffle again. Waving at the VIPs 
There it is!! The starting block!! wOOHOO!! Tired already.  
Course Map taking you around the sights of Tokyo
Our first turning was to Shinjuku.
The whole route for the marathon hits the big sights of Tokyo. 
 
I knew that once I hit 5km and looking left and right
The camera just kept coming out.
OMG!! HOw to focus!!! 
Such a cloudy day but the crowd kept everyone cool
Really colourful crowd too 
 
Santa & Ninja

And you are never lonely along the way 
I'm actually trying to take picture of the "castle" 
Volunteers were also waiting for you.
All shouting "Gambante!!!" Makes you feel so ompphh!!!
When I had the breathe to say something "Arigato! was relayed 
I think that's the Imperial Palace garden 
This event only has the 42km & 10km distance 
And 2 lucky runners completed their 10km distance
To the right is the entrance of the Tokyo Tower
Oh, just to mention, there are 2 major u-turn points where you'll be mental enuff to see the the other side running back. 
 
Big fighter dude can run a marathon...so can u
Even a guy in a maid costume 
I'm still smiling so all still good at 15km 
1st U-Turn point at Shinagawa St. 15km point
Tokyo Tower at a distance
World peace with no fights with costume Arabians
I can never understand on mobile phones during major runs 
The famous "Jesus" he's actually a frequent runner in Tokyo Marathon
Barefooted and bare-chested 
Traffic controller with BMW disc wheel cover...whoa...I wan!! 
Ginza at 22km mark 
Its like Bintang Walk with much taller buildings
Amazingly enough I was able to catch a pic of Ben...but not KS...hahahah 
Entertainment along the way 
Mascot too 
Last U-turn point, Asakusa at the 28km point
As you can tell from now, it is a majority flattttt route.
If you want to focus & get a PB, you need to ignore everything around you.
But, I'm a runner tourist...running with a camera. Like I'm gonna ignore this
 
30km on the way back....
Guess the school "girl" is tired too 
"Pickup" bus for runners who is unable to meet the cut-off time at certain distance markers 
Soooo tempting to help myself with miso soup and sushi but it is also important to train digestion than to indulge. So self control was intact. Thank you mina!! 
The one and only uphill bridge
A little stretch of the back, hamstrings & quads. 
My face tells it all at the 38km mark...4km has very seem so far  
Guess we're only human...every 1 step feels like half a step which makes the distance longer
OMG!! Tokyo Big Sight!! We're heading to the finishing line 
Is that it?! Legs is moving faster 
Side track focus to McDonald....hey...I see korean Ronald McDs!!
The last stretch and everyone is walking or even a slight jog. 
So freaking happy at the 41km mark!!
I had to take a photo of it!! 
1km more to go....goosebump raising in my arms!
Appreciating the aura!!! 
Supporters of families & friends cheering you on!!
Time was a sucky 4hrs 48mins 
but I had made up my mind that I was gonna enjoy my run instead 
First time I see volunteers ready to help you take your finishing photo
Simply Amazing!! 
Hydration is important because the cold would dehydrate you too 
Finisher Towel 
Finisher medal 
Just keep walking for more free stuff...its good how they don't clutter the resources... 
But then its a fair distance to walk...like usual...Tokyo is really big 
And this is the map to where to collect your bags (O_O')
Direction was pretty good. And every corner I walked, the volunteers kept saying Omedetou! 
Walking towards our warehouse luggage 
I'm just wondering how the organisers is able to get so many volunteers. 
After picking up our bags, we were directly to the next warehouse Dressing Room 
I wish I could join them, but once I sit down, I will never get up.
Most importantly is to regroup 
Once we've changed out into our warm clothes, we were directly to another hanger for grouping 
So happy to meet up with everyone...hmm..except Ray.
He must be really enjoying the run =p 
 
Sisters, Bee & Leng with Yee Hua 
 
I like the event, the organisation but not a place for PB.
Might try Seoul again instead, but Tokyo is a city of entertainment for me






No comments: